Saturday, July 18, 2015

I was reading the changelog for more recent versions of GCC, and there's some nice stuff in there. This made me realize how old the gcc version 4.4.0 tree is. On the other hand, I've made a lot of changes to the internals of the compiler that would have to be ported to a newer version.

One thing I noticed is that I might be able to get proper handling of byte quantities by making custom operand types. The Arm back end does this to force values into the desired registers. But as I write this, I remember that the problem is that the compiler reasonably assumes that any place that can hold an int can be used for byte operations too. I  might have to stick with 4.4.0 for a while longer.

After fixing the overly broad parameter constrants for division I thought I should go through the other instructions as well. Unfortunately I found that same problem all over the place. Fixed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment